Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cupcake News

SO this is a random post I know.  But we always talk about such serious stuff on our blog that I thought we could talk about something everyone likes . . . food.  So this is a story from a few days ago about designer cupcakes becoming the new "it" food.  Is it a fad?  Will is last?  I know we have a designer cupcake near where I work and I am obsessed with them.  So lets get some discussion going with what you think of this delicious article.  Enjoy

2 comments:

Brandon said...

It is an interesting article about a food item that I see a lot of potential in as becoming the next big thing. This idea of designer cupcakes brings creativity, which is something Krispy Kreme seems to lack. I believe that designer cupcakes can start out as a trend and then go on to becoming a popular business product. One thing I do notice in this article is that the owners of the crumbs shops are very cautious when it comes to expansion and they do have a point there. For example, Starbucks expanded by building a lot of coffee shops and it backfired on them. What I can see happening here is other people opening their own separate designer cupcake shops, which will lead to all kinds of cupcakes of various designs. However, the obesity issue is not going away so that can be a challenge for the designer cupcakes to deal with. It’s just like how Batman has to deal with the Joker. In this case, we can call the designer cupcakes Batman and the obesity issue the Joker. In the end, I do believe this article does show that designer cupcakes will be around for some time, and it could get people to stop worrying about obesity.

Ashley Anderson said...

I think it's interesting that this reporter found so much information on designer cupcakes. It was definitely a well-written article and brings up some interesting points, especially for people in the hospitatlity industry who are looking to become the next cupcake mavericks of the U.S.